Friday, October 7, 2016

Like Any Other Day

It's my birthday, and since I was a kid, I have always thought of it as a normal day.

I was never too excited, nor too naive with the thought of birthdays. I just got this weird mind above anybody else about it: it's just like a day in the school, or at a job. I think, for the most part of people's lives, everyday is one's 'birthday'. It's as special and as good as any day that passes by.

Today is my birthday, and just like any other day at work, it went 'okay', as in something went horribly wrong and then after some moments of crying and crying and crying and crying over anger, it went okay in the end.

I was called by my boss to shout at me. Yes, shout at me at 6:30 in the morning over the room I am currently handling. It houses so many things that kids need, so I have to secure of all of it carefully. However, I am a newbie, and so I could be assigned as a substitute to different people who have official businesses outside the institution's premises. It is not in any law, or memo, it seems unfair, but as they say, it is a part of being a newbie. So, I let it pass. Going back, my boss shouted at me because she thought I knew the events going on inside my room. She thought that I received a letter for the use of my room as a venue, and that I gave the key to whoever. I, of course, answered her back, for that was way, way wrong in so many levels. I was deployed by her to a different sort of job, and I she fully knew that I won't be able to be in my room. No one coordinated with me as to when and how are they going to use the room. It also went with a surprise that my room was already opened and had people in it coming from nowhere. As I was narrating this to her, she just told me that I was just 'justifying' myself over what is happening; that I am responsible over a set of audio-visual materials, and that I didn't remove them before the event was held.

It made me cry. I swear it made me well up with tears of anger. My heart was pounding so hard, I cannot contain the pain anymore. It seems to me that she was trying to tell me that I was irresponsible, when in truth, I was bypassed.

My authority over the assigned and entrusted room was bypassed by my boss herself. The day before the event, they have held an afternoon meeting, and she was the one who told the coordinators to use the room. I asked the coordinators about it, and they firmly claimed that since it was her decision, the protocol is she  will be the one to inform me about it.

However, she went on mad at me, and threatening me that all the things inside the room will be hel accountable by me, so any reported loss will be paid by me.

It wasn't right. So, I asked for the help of our Counselor.

She advised me to talk to my boss and clean my name, while I listened with tears in my eyes. Then I thought, I could talk to her, but I think I shouldn't. I didn't mess up with my room. I am with its keys. Nobody talked to me about it. Never did she asked for my permission to use the room. I was bypassed. I don't have to defend myself.

It all went on throughout the afternoon. Then, it came to me that it is my birthday. So, I went on Facebook and check on updates. I wasn't expecting my dearest friends and family to post something touching about me. I thought, it wasn't really a bad day, though I am still mad over the way my boss had acted over her mistake.

You see, I cannot blame anyone over putting me down just because it is my birthday. I am glad to know that these circumstances just make me feel I am a human being, living a life not of a fairytale, but a sad and happy reality of learning, and taking each new day as it is.

Happy October 7th! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment